By now I hope everyone is settled in to the rhythms of academic life. Some of you are preparing for midterms, some of you are working on projects.
We've had alot going on at the Seidenberg School and around the School. The Pace Computing Society in New York has a full schedule of Wednesday speakers-two of our own students spoke about internships in early October.
The First Tech Challenge, an event for high school students to compete using LEGO robotics, will be held in Pleasantville in the Spring, and the kick-off on October 9 was well attended. Congratulations to all who are working on this important event.
I was invited, along with Cathy Dwyer of the Information Technology Department in New York, to speak at a Women in Engineering Conference sponsored by the IEEE in White Plains. I encourage you to look into joining a professional society if you haven't already done so. I'm a member of the ACM, the IEEE, and AIS. Many of these groups offer student memberships at a fraction of the cost of a professional membership. I'm sure that any of your professors will be glad to "sponsor" you and sign your membership applications.
Best of luck on exams, projects, and whatever else this semester is throwing at you! I'll be on the downtown campus on October 22, 23 and again on Tuesday the 27, at the Goldstein Academic Center on Monday, Wednesday and Friday of next week, and I'm not sure where I'll be on Thursday. Feel free to drop in and say hello.
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are ways that you can benefit most from the time you are in Graduate school if you also work full time?
ReplyDeleteI empathize-I completed my MBA evenings while working full time. Juggling the demands of work and graduate school is very challenging.
ReplyDeleteSome suggestions:
Focus on why you came to graduate school in the first place. Was it to make connections, to learn new skills, to broaden your education?
If you wanted to make connections, try to take advantage of opportunities to meet other students.
Looking to sharpen skills? Try to attend the events that fit in with your goals.
But most of all, understand that you can't do everything-be careful not to commit to too many activities!
What do others of you think?
Graduate school for most involves working full time while attending classes. What do you learn from this? Perseverance. It's difficult to go to classes after working all day. It's difficult to complete school assignments on time, especially when there are work assignments and the dealings of every day life (dropping off the dry cleaning, spending time with children, food shopping, etc). While there is no doubt that the courses are beneficial in terms of learning information and expanding your horizons; just as important is learning how to manage your time, and developing the grit to just put your head down and "get it done".
ReplyDeleteI approach life in graduate school as “Basic Training”. Once it's completed, nothing my regular workplace can throw at me will seem difficult. Why? Because assuming you know how to do your job, 90% of being successful at work requires the ability to manage your time and completing projects. Graduate students who work full time simply become experts in this because we have to.
Good points-and there is no skill as important as managing your time.
ReplyDeleteI highly recommend David Allen's book Getting Things Done. I don't always follow GTD (as devotees call it) but when I do, I not only get things done, but I get the *right* things done!
Thanks for your comments.
I am taking Graduate courses as a non-degree seeking student because of a week undergraduate GPA. I have an extreme interest in Information Systems, but am finding it hard to transition into a more technical degree. I am trying desperately to achieve good grades in order to be accepted full-time into the MS program, is there any advice that you can give to help my quest?
ReplyDelete