I hope your classes are going well, and that the weather hasn't interfered too much with the beginning of the semester.
If you have had a class canceled due to the weather, please make sure to find out when and how it will be made up. Contact your professor.
Many thanks to Staci Burke, a student in our graduate program, and Mirkeya Cappellan, a graduate of our graduate program and a student in our DPS program, for participating in the NY Computer Club's meeting to discuss the Grace Hopper Conference. Grace Hopper was a computing pioneer and one of the developers of the programming language COBOL. The Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology has held a conference for women in technology each year since 2004. We have been lucky enough to be able to sponsor some attendees; Mirkeya attended in 2007 and Staci attended in 2008.
I hope that each of you will consider joining a professional organization. The ACM, the oldest professional computing organization, has student memberships available. Professional organizations provide a way to stay current, to meet others in the profession, and can help keep you learning and growing all during your professional career. Other organizations that you might find interesting are the IEEE, DSI, AIS and INFORMS. You can find information about any of these at their websites; ask your professors which organizations they might recommend. I belong to the ACM, the IEEE Computer Society, AIS and INFORMS. I have also been a member of DSI in the past.
Have a great week, keep the momentum of the beginning of the semester going. Feel free to comment on this post or to email me at cknapp@pace.edu with questions/comments/compliments/complaints.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment